Monday, May 8, 2023

Along With The Upcoming Review of The LD—350 ~ You Can Expect More Posts About Muon Detectors

Ok, this isn't a lightning detector...And it basically has nothing to do with lightning. 

I apologize; but it's just too cool not to share. 


The complete (unbuilt) Muon Detector Kit
from UKRAA (Link Here).


It's a Muon Detector kit. It detects particles called muons, which originate from cosmic rays entering Earth's atmosphere - And I will confess: Lately, I've become a wee bit obsessed with them. 
In any case, I'm determined to acquire a kit.
I've reached out to several different organizations and educational institutions overseas; The easiest prospect I found, are the complete kits offered by UKRAA.



For those of you who don't solder/build kits - There's
a fully completed/tested kit, in enclosure available (Here).

Now, after some substantial web searching, you'll find (as I did) that Muon detector kits aren't easy to find. It turns out that, as with everything else I adore, the best kits are found in The UK! From The UK Radio Astronomy Association (www.UKRAA.com).

The (scarce) Muon detectors normally encountered (when one searches fervently for them) are almost always DIY units. Such as this one (which is what the UKRAA kit is based on). The issue with this one, and all the other (hobbyist-level/DIY) kits, is that in order to build it, one has to order the various components from several different suppliers/locations. 

That is what makes these kits from UKRAA so attractive: They come complete with everything in one package - Even down to the small quantity of optical grease needed for construction! (in a small syringe).  

I've been researching muon detectors left, right, and center - even delving into Particle Physics along the way! The most complex math equations I've ever seen in my life!

As for lightning detectors, The LD-350 from Boltek is currently under test...

I am slowly but surely getting closer to ordering (and building) 2 muon detector kits from UKRAA...
My goal is to order 2 kits, because 2 working units stacked on top of each other, are needed, in order to confirm muon particles. 
I also plan on providing any supplemental information, construction notes, tips, etc. for these units. As well as a short review. 

Best wishes!

No comments:

Post a Comment