Wednesday, November 29, 2017

First Post - Introduction

I am very excited to be writing my first post, on this brand-new blog! Right from the start, this blog is a little chaotic - Just like lightning itself - And maybe there's nothing wrong with that?
I state this, because although the main subject of this new blog will be Lightning Detectors - I want to include subjects & hobbies which (I believe) are closely related:
  • LF (low frequency) DXing / Listening to longwave (including Non-Directional [Aero] Beacons).
  • Electronics, Kit building/homemade circuits
  • Taking a closer look at semiconductors/components (which are often fascinating in their own right).
I first became interested in lighting radar & detectors back in 2008. When I had the opportunity to get involved with this system, right around the time the experts first developed it. Note: 2008 was quite a while back, and it appears that the project was eventually abandoned:

Frank Kooiman's Lightning Radar 

I immediately ordered the two custom PCBs. However, not long after buying some of the parts, I became convinced that I probably had too much electrical noise here - And the system would register too many false positives 😢

This seemed to be the case even when testing out a simple $20 kit I built. I ended up giving the completed kit away, to someone who lived in a more rural suburb.

However, I've since decided to make it my mission, to prove that lightning detectors can
be used in a semi-urban environment. My ultimate goal, is to get one of these amazing systems to work properly:

Blitzortung

In the meantime, I've been keeping busy collecting links & Info on (relatively easy) DIY detectors to build... 
Recently, while searching around for another $20-type kit, I stumbled across this one - The builder used the plans from a DIY project as a guide, and built this masterpiece:

Celtic Cross Engineering 

Eventually, I plan to try building one of those elaborate versions myself... Although, I'm not very confident about the outcome 📐

Last, but not least - Here is the page which has inspired me a great deal recently:

TECHLIB

The above link is a must-see! It's excellent - and it is what prompted me to create this blog.

I'll be building the circuit featured on the TechLib site - I did not have many of the needed components in my parts bags (except for the resistors). But, was able to locate the rest of the parts on eBay. ...Just waiting for them to arrive.
I already have a couple of small projects here, that I've been wanting to build.

More to follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment